Friday, August 12, 2011

Fright Night in 3D - Reviewed by Rhiannon

Since I couldn't be in 2 screenings at once, I asked my friend Rhiannon to see Fright Night and give her thoughts.

Okay, I must say, I am a fan of the original. When I found out they were showing this one in 3D, I was dreading it. I thought Roddy McDowell was the best Peter Vincent there was, but I’m a fan of David Tennant, and his humor, so I thought I’d give it a chance. When the movie opened with a 3D flying above the clouds ala The Lost Boys, I was bored. But then, the opening credits started, and I was hooked on this movie’s 3D effects. Done perfectly, just far enough apart that you forget it’s a 3D movie and then it surprises you with something coming at your face.

The movie stars Anton Yelchin (Star Trek) as Charlie Brewster who has left his old life of D&D and his best friend Ed, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Role Models, Superbad) behind. When Ed figures out a dark secret about Charlie's neighbor Jerry (Colin Firth), this is where the fun begins. Jerry sets his sights on Charlie. In his sights also are Charlie’s mom, played by Toni Collette(United States of Tara), and Charlie’s girlfriend played by Imogen Poots (V for Vendetta, 28 Weeks Later). Charlie turns to magician/expert in the darker things Peter Vincent, played by David Tennant (Dr. Who, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) for help.

This movie was true to the original with enough of a twist to be an entirely different movie. It is both horror and comedy. The cast was chosen well (hats off to Jo Edna Boldin and Allison Jones!), and the sets were almost perfect. There is a cameo by one of the original cast that is not to be missed. All in all, it could have been a disastrous remake of a good movie, but it was pulled off well! I give it 4.5 out of 5 bags of popcorn. (I threw the rest into the air during one of the scenes).



No comments:

Post a Comment