Monday, July 25, 2011

The Smurfs

To be honest, I wasn't even going to see this movie. I had no real desire to see it but some good friends reminded me that if I am going to review movies, I have to see everything, not just want I want to see. With that in mind, I went to see the Smurfs in 3D.

I was more enjoyable than I expected. First of all, you do not have to have seen the cartoon from back in the day. The screenwriters did a great job of bringing the little blue people to life and explain who they are. If you did watch the cartoons, you will recognize so many little things. Papa Smurf, Smurfette and some of the others are there plus some new ones. The movie revolves around Papa, Smurfette, Hefty, Grouchy, Brainy, Clumsy and their arch enemy Gargamel and his cat Azreal. Gargamel chases the Smurfs out of the village and into a portal bringing them to modern day New York City.

Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays play the couple who helps the Smurfs get back home. Honestly, they were perfect for this movie. When you see Mays, you tend to picture her with cartoon birds singing on her shoulders, so Smurfs work well. Harris is his normal fantastic self. But I think the scene stealer goes to Hank Azaria who is just amazing as Gargamel.

A bunch of cute lines from George Lopez and Katy Perry. Overall, the movie is Smurftastic scoring a 3.75 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment